Monday, June 13, 2011

Strawberry/Banana/Choco Chip Pancakes

Well hello there again!

I know it's been awhile since I last posted...I've been back in the good ole U S of A for about a month now and things got a little hectic between my sister's grad school graduation (congrats Aleesh!), summer plan detours, and weekend travels. 

As I write this post I am sitting in my aunt's beach house in Ocean Grove, NJ. Population 40. The town reminds me of one of those old Mary Kate & Ashley movies when they're like 13 and get exiled to a small town for the summer only to discover there also happens to be extremely good-looking twin brothers living there coaching a swim team for the summer (hence also their amazing physique). I don't know if fate has the same fortunate plans for me while I live here this summer but a girl can dream right?
Anyways yeah. I was supposed to be taking summer classes in Florida but those didn't end up working out. So here I am. Alone. In this house. And really bored. So bored in fact that I might actually pick up my GRE book and start reading it. Before you say I'm lazy let me say that I do have a job! A good one actually, at this tutoring company that specializes in Math (right up my alley) but the guy said I'll be coming in in July.

Since i have all this down time now I'm free to go to the beach everyday (...which I do...), watch TV, relax, oh and go to NYC to visit some friends. Not a bad gig ya know. This past weekend I went into the city and got to see lots of my gfriends which I was really happy about. also because nyc has the yuuuummiest restaurants/cafe's in life (not an exaggeration). On Saturday morning, Elizabeth, Mick, and I wanted to try the infamous pancakes at Clinton St. Baking Company but when we got there there was an hour wait and our stomachs were already eating themselves. Instead we went a few blocks down to a cute brunch place called 7A. I got banana pancakes that came with this strawberry butter that had me swooooooning the entire meal. eliz and mick got rum butter with their breakfasts which also tasted like liquid candy. 
Anyways so i got back from nyc yesterday and I still couldn't stop thinking about those pancakes. It was like having cake for breakfast. My sister told me last night she had all these strawberries so i could noooot be happier when i woke up this morning. a quick Google search to check proportions and I whipped up some fluffy pancakes in 15 minutes. I just made the batter and separated it in different bowls to mix different fruits in them. Some were banana, some strawberry, some blueberry and some variations of those included chocolate chips. Every flavor was delicious, sweet from the fruit but didn't give you the instant feeling of cavities. And they were so fluffy! Stack up a couple of these bad boys with some frosting in between and you really could call it a cake...
Make them!
You will have a smile on your face for the rest of the day :)

By the way don't judge the pancakes by their not-so-pretty appearance. I don't have one of those fancy shmancy cameras so the pics don't do them justice. You're gonna have to trust me on this one.

If you live near a Trader Joe's, run immediately there and get that honey apple butter. You'll die.
Pancakes adapted from allrecipes
(with any add-ins) ex. mashed bananas, strawberries, blueberries, choco chips, etc
serves 2-4 people

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon (if cinnamon isn't your thang, you can leave it out)
1 egg
1 1/4 cups milk (I used Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk)
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract


In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, & cinnamon. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, egg, butter, & vanilla extract. Mix until smooth (a few lumps is fine). Stir in whatever mix-ins you like!

Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium-high heat. Pour about a 1/4 cup of batter onto the griddle for each pancake. Flip after bubbles appear on the sides and top, about 3 minutes, and brown on other side. Serve hot with maple syrup, apple butter, and anything else you like. Try to refrain from licking your plate. Or don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment