Friday, July 1, 2011

Cheddar Broccoli Bites

I don't know about you, but my family always had a Sunday tradition.

 

We'd go to church where my sisters and I would play tic-tac-toe on the Sermon note papers.
Then we'd go to Bennigan's. Do you remember that restaurant? It's basically like T.G.I.Friday's but it was where everyone went before Friday's got cool. And they definitely started the buttons on suspenders look.



Anyway, this was back when I ate meat so I'd ALWAYS get the chicken fingers w/ honey must(ard). It was delicious. Tangy, but a little bit sweet, with crunchy mustard seeds. I never could figure out how they made it taste so good but I wanted to drink it. Luckily my fam always wanted to start w/ appetizers so we'd share 2 or 3 orders of Broccoli Bites and that infamous honey must. Broccoli Bites are just fried balls of broccoli, cheesy, oniony goodness. We'd usually ask the waiter to bring 2 more orders to bring home with us. They were THAT good.



Then, when I was in middle school, Bennigan's went bankrupt (dagnabbit Friday's!). I was deeeeevastated. What would I do without Broccoli Bites and that honey must?! It only took 8 years for my sister and I to realize that we could...Google. Wow. That took 2 seconds.

 

Make these tonight. You won't be sorry!!

Broccoli Bites 
Makes 15-20 balls

1 16 oz. package of frozen broccoli, thawed, dried, & chopped small (or use 2 cups chopped fresh broccoli)
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 16 oz. block of white Cheddar cheese, shredded (or 1 package of shredded) - Use any melty cheese you like!)
3 eggs
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
Italian bread crumbs, as needed
3 cups Canola oil, for frying

Place first five ingredients in a large mixing bowl and incorporate all of them together well. Refrigerate the mixture for an hour.

In a heavy skillet with walls, heat about 3 cups of canola oil over medium heat. Place a paper towel sheet on a plate and set next to stove. In a shallow plate, set out some Italian bread crumbs. Using your hands, form small balls of the mixture and roll in the bread crumbs until coated. Repeat with the rest of the mixture. In small batches, fry the balls until golden, only about 2 minutes. Make sure to flip them halfway so they get browned on all sides. After they are fried, place them on the plate lined with paper towel to absorb the excess oil. 
Serve with honey mustard!

Bennigan's Honey Mustard
Makes about 1 cup

3/4 cup sour cream (I used Greek yogurt because I didn't have sour cream nor do I like it)
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup Dijon mustard
1/3 cup honey
1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon lemon juice
.
In a mixing bowl, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, and Dijon mustard. Blend thoroughly using a wire whisk.
Slowly pour in the honey and lemon juice. Continue mixing ingredients until dressing is smooth and well combined. 

Serve with chicken fingers, Broccoli Bites, or as a salad dressing!

No comments:

Post a Comment