Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Rosemary Olive Oil Crackers

The other day, I went a little crazy.


Not like...the I'm-a-crazy-girlfriend-don't-go-near-my-boyfriend crazy. Mainly because I've a) been there, done that but also because I b) don't even have a boyfriend! So that takes care of that problem.
No the other day I went crazy - as in, I-have-to-bake-something-right-this-minute crazy. I didn't know what though. Did I want something sweet? Did I want something salty? So to remedy this problem, I had three recipes simultaneously going in the kitchen. I was like a mad scientist. No joke, this is what it looked like..........

I ended up making Rosemary Olive Oil Crackers, Chewy Fruit Granola Bars, and a new Banana Bread recipe. I normally make this amaaaazing Banana Bread that is my favorite of allllll time (I'll share it soon!) but I decided to venture out. It was a bad decision. On top of it being not tasty, my simultaneous recipe concocting got the best of me and I forgot to add in the sugar after I put it in the oven! I ripped the pan out and threw/mixed in the sugar but it still obviously was gross. That recipe won't be shared but look at this banana bread. I mean...so pathetic. Poor thing didn't even rise.


Back to the crackers.

So remember how I've been watering the plants everyday during my very busy days here in NJ? Well one of those plants is fresh rosemary and it smells sOoOoo good. At Wegman's they have these Rosemary dinner rolls that are to diiiie for so these crackers were inspired by those. The recipe I got was in the metric system so I had to do some conversions here. The crackers basically taste like those Carr's water crackers. Really delish with hummus or spin dip. mMm. These didn't even last a day in our house.


Rosemary Olive Oil Crackers
Recipe adapted from The Purple Foodie
Makes a whole bunch!

2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp chopped rosemary (fresh or dried)
Sea salt to taste
Ground pepper to taste
Olive oil for brushing

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, water, olive oil, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Knead the dough for 5-6 minutes until it comes together - It will be a hard dough! Now you can either make walnut-sized balls and roll the crackers out individually (I used the side of a mug to roll them out) or you can roll the whole dough out on a cookie sheet and cut it into crackers before you bake.
With either method, place the rolled out crackers on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, brush with olive oil, and sprinkle Sea salt and ground pepper. Bake for 10 minutes, or until crackers are golden brown. Make sure to watch them because they can burn quick! Serve alongside your favorite dip :)

No comments:

Post a Comment