Monday, July 11, 2011

Lemon Garlic Tuna Burgers

Amazing things can happen to your food when you have fresh herbs.



Like...delicious, amazing things. Remember those Rosemary Olive Oil Crackers? Crunchy perfection. Along with the rosemary in the backyard is cilantro, parsley, and basil (hellOoO caprese pesto pizza??). While the cilantro is slightly suffering and the basil is sparse (from pesto we made the other night), the parsley is overflowing. I really wanted to make something with it. Ergo, these Lemon Garlic Tuna Burgers.


They're so easy. I mean...you just chop and drop everything in the bowl and then moosh it together with your hands into patties. Kinda fun actually.


These are also a really college-friendly meal. Tuna = super cheap. And you probs already have everything else in your fridge right now. Cept maybe the parsley. But that's easy to find (I think?). Nevertheless, I'm sure I'll be making a lot of these babies at school. I love the crunchy texture from baking them (no greasy frying yayy) but the tuna inside melts in your mouth. The lemon and parsley make them really light and fresh. Perfect for a hot, sunny summer day.

I know normally burgers call for...buns (duh) but I really don't like eating buns with non-meat burgers. To be honest, I just don't really see the point of all that bread hogging all the flavor when the meatless burger is so good by itself! So my tuna burgers are nakey. Feel free to add buns.


Since I was the only one eating this tonight, I made all four patties and then froze the other three patties for a quick meal. Then I took one of those Brown Sugar Blueberry Cookies I stashed in the fridge and threw it into the oven because I was seriously craving a cookie. Nothin' like a fresh baked cookie - can I get an Amen?!


Lemon Garlic Tuna Burgers
Recipe adapted from Can You Stay For Dinner?
Makes 4 burgers 

2, 6 oz cans tuna fish, drained and flaked
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs 
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
3 tbsp minced fresh parsley 
1 clove garlic, minced 
1/4 tsp each, salt and pepper  
juice of half a lemon 
2 tbsp sour cream (or you could use Greek yogurt or mayo or all mustard)
1 tbsp grainy mustard
1/4 tsp of some spices (I used Paprika and Cumin) - you don't have to use spices if you don't want/have
1 egg  

Preheat oven to 400 degress F.

Combine tuna, bread crumbs, red onion, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper, lemon, sour cream, mustard, spices, and egg, and mix well with your hands. Form into 4 patties (they will be wet). Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 20 minutes. Serve with a toasted bun, lettuce, tomato, onions, and whatever else your heart desires.

No comments:

Post a Comment